- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable, or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 baby nugget pumpkins
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 stalk celery, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons snipped dill
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, made into crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Soak lentils in water for 1 hour. Drain, rinse and drain again.
2. Place lentils, rice, chicken stock and bay leaf in saucepan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes (water should be absorbed). Remove bay leaf.
3. While lentils are cooking, pierce pumpkins in several places with a sharp skewer and bake in a moderate oven for 25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, cut lid from top and scoop out seeds.
5. Combine cooked lentils, mushrooms, celery, dill and cottage cheese. Use this mixture to fill pumpkins.
6. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese and paprika, sprinkle on top of pumpkins.
7. Bake in a moderate oven (350ºF) for 25 minutes.
8. Serve with a green salad or steamed green vegetables.