- 4 cups vine-ripened fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Into a 4-quart saucepan, place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, pepper, bay leaf, and apple.
- In a small cloth spice bag, put the allspice, mace, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and celery seed, and place into the tomato mixture.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by half, stirring frequently.
- Remove spice bag and bay leaf.
- Puree in a food processor until well blended.
- Return to the saucepan and add lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
- Continue cooking until catsup reaches a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Stir frequently, and watch for sticking and scorching as it thickens.
- Refrigerate or freeze in a well-sealed container.
Yields about 2 cups.
Recipe from The Paleo Diet For Athletes.