Cherries grow in abundance during the summer, don't let the season pass you by without indulging in this rich fruit. The vibrantly, red little bundles of joy are high in potassium, Vitamins C and B-complex, and full of antioxidants.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
Whole Wheat Cakes:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
Prepare the cherry sizzle:
For the whole wheat griddle cakes:
- Mix the flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl. (This can be done the night before and kept covered on the counter.)
- Lightly beat the milk, egg, oil and honey together.
- Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just moistened. Do not overmix, a few lumps are fine.
- Warm a lightly greased griddle pan over medium heat. The pan is ready when a few drops of water sprinkled on the griddle form fast-moving bubbles.
- Pour batter onto the griddle: 1/8 cup for small or 1/4 cup for large pancakes. When the tops of the pancakes are covered with holes and the bottoms are golden brown, flip to brown the other side.
- Serve the griddle cakes topped with the cherry sizzle.
Yields 5 servings.
Serving size: 3 small cakes topped with cherry sizzle
Nutrition: Per serving: 265 calories, 48g carbohydrates, 5g fat, 4g fiber, 7g protein, 1g saturated fat, 376mg sodium